A style of post we haven’t seen here for awhile. Lucy started this blog just documenting what we have been doing towards Theatre of Minds: posts like ‘The Evolution of the Theatre of Minds Logo‘ and ‘A Very Busy Day‘. But as the project has grown and developed we have drifted away from documentation, and there are many more posts aimed to give you information and advertise the event. As I was sitting down to write this week I realised there weren’t any massive big announcements like there have been in recent weeks, so I just thought I would take inspiration from Lucy’s early posts and tell you what we have been up to.
Tickets for Base Layer are now available to purchase (all funds raised being donated to Young Minds) but that means that we have to get people to buy them in order to make the project a success. A lot of our advertising so far (getting other young people involved and spreading the word of our crowdfunding campaign) has been online, though our blog and twitter account (with some help from the parent-mail system at Beaumont!). But now is the time to take our project further out into the community. We want to reach as many people as we can with Base Layer, and that means getting an audience from as far and wide as we can.
So, we have been creating some posters and flyers to distribute around the local area and tell people about the project. I was very lucky to have the help of Katie Walton (one of my assistant directors and general odd-jobs people) with the design of these. Neither me nor Lucy are art students in any way, shape or form, so it was great to give Katie a brief and see what she came back with. It was a loooooooooooong email that started off the process, with many points about things to include. I had no idea what I really wanted but as soon as Katie came back with her first draft I knew she had hit the nail on the head! After a few tweaks to the size of some elements we were there – marketing round 1: check!
Having done some research and looked at flyers that the Trestle Arts Base had created for other events, I knew that I wanted to put some more information about the project on the back of the flyers to tell people what we are doing. I drafted a couple of paragraphs (I am quite used to summarising this project now) and then set about putting together a design. In order to keep our material consistent, I used the design that Becca Doidge had come up with a couple of months before to advertise the crowdfunding campaign. Round 2: complete.
During our meeting at the Trestle Arts Base a couple of weeks ago, we spoke about marketing material and they introduced me to a company called Leafletfrog who we could use for printing our flyers. Through the site, we ordered the sizes that we wanted and then uploaded the artwork. The proofs then came back later that day so that we could check everything was ok – good job they did be
cause we needed to sort some things out. Unfortunately we had some mistakes to correct, image quality to improve, and we hadn’t left any bleed so there would be a white boarder around the image. We had just one evening to sort it out so that they could be printed over the weekend. Katie and I sat down on either end of a facebook message and worked away on
our respective pages. We sorted out the simple things, and after some research we got to a point where we thought we had solved the white boarder issue. Thankfully, when the new proofs came through the next day, everything looked gorgeous so we gave the go ahead to print the material.
So on Monday morning a package arrived on our doorstep full of A4 posters and A5 flyers –
it was a very exciting moment! Over the next few weeks we will slowly be distributing our stack into the community to spread awareness of our performance. Please get in touch if you know of any community boards we could advertise on, or you could put something up in your place of work. We want to help as many people as we can.
Thankyou so much to Katie Walton for all her help with this – we couldn’t have got it looking so good without you. Thankyou also to Trestle for guiding us through the process and to the people at Leafletfrog for being patient while we sorted out our issues. This project is giving us so many new experiences and we are so grateful to all the people involved who are supporting us.